Questions to Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon
Facial Plastic Surgery in Philadelphia, Main Line & Bryn MawrWhen you are considering cosmetic surgery, choosing the right plastic surgeon for you is of utmost importance. One of the best way to determine if you are working with the best plastic surgeon for the procedure you are interested in having performed is to ask questions regarding that particular procedure and how experienced and how long the surgeon has performed the procedure. Remember, your consultation is an opportunity for you to gather full information about your potential surgeon and gauge your comfort with his level of experience. We encourage you to write down a list of your own questions and bring them to your first meeting as well.
Questions to ask should include:
- Are you board-certified? Board certification is important to ensure your comfort and safety. Dr. John Lee is a board-certified ophthalmologist (surgeons who specialize in the care of the eyes) and an official ASOPRS fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon (surgeons who specialize on eyelids and adjacent facial areas). There are less than 600 ASOPRS (society that governs this group of surgeons and their training) oculoplastic surgeons in the U.S. and this sub-specialty. After completing general ophthalmology residency, an additional 2 years is spent performing cosmetic and reconstructive surgery on thousands of eyelids and adjacent facial areas. Dr. Lee completed his 2-yrs oculoplastic surgical fellowship at the prestigious Wills Eye Hospital- top 3 hospital for treatment of eyes in the country. Many general ophthalmologists who have shadowed and watched oculoplastic surgeons during their ophthalmology residency claim that they specialize in "oculoplastic" surgery. Do not be mislead by this. Oculoplastic surgeons perform over thousands of eyelids and brow procedures annually while general ophthalmologists perform cataracts and eye care procedures on a daily basis. Do your due diligence and understand the scope of practice of each doctor that you see. There is no one that can be an "expert" in many different fields. So choose a surgeon who specializes in one area that you are interested in.
- Where will my procedure be performed? You want to make sure your procedure will be performed in a safe, sterile environment. Dr. Lee performs most of his cosmetic procedures in his two office surgical suite in his Bryn Mawr office with all sterile equipment and instruments at no additional cost for his cosmetic surgery patients.
- How many of these procedures have you performed? Experience is key to optimal results. Dr. Lee focuses his practice on facial plastic surgery, primarily on eyelids and brow areas and has over 10 years of surgical experience providing beautiful and natural results across Pennsylvania. Dr. Lee on average performs 15-20 eyelids and brow lift surgical procedures a week. Dr. Lee has performed surgeries on patients who have traveled long distance from Asia, Europe and South America seeking his expertise.
- What type of anesthesia will be used for my procedure? There are a number of risks with general anesthesia. Dr. Lee performs all of his procedures under local anesthesia to help reduce your risk of unnecessary complications. Dr. Lee’s focus is on minimally invasive cosmetic surgery that provide optimal results with minimal sedation.
- Are there any risks with this procedure? You deserve full disclosure. Your risks will be unique to your health history and anatomy, but will be discussed with you in full during your initial consultation. Serious risks always include infections but can be minimized by following proper post-operative instructions.
- Do you offer financing? Cosmetic surgery can be expensive. Dr. Lee strives to keep costs surprisingly affordable. CareCredit® is available for our patients who need help financing a cosmetic surgery procedure. Through Carecredit, we offer 6-months no interest financing.
- Do you offer a before and after gallery? A picture is worth a thousand words. Dr. Lee is pleased to make available a before and after gallery for all of the surgical procedures he offers.
- Do you have patient testimonials? You want to know the experience of previous patients before committing to a cosmetic surgeon. Dr. Lee offers patient testimonials on his website to help give you a better idea of the level of service you can expect. Dr. Lee has countless patients who has sent him gifts and cards to express their appreciation for Dr. Lee’s amazing surgical skills. Dr. Lee also has patients who have offered to speak with any patient that might be nervous about having surgery with Dr. Lee.