Six Factors to consider before you get Botox
June 15, 2017
Every year, millions of Americans get Botox to treat wrinkles and give their appearance a smoother and more finished look. If you are considering pursuing Botox, here are some things to consider:Blog, BOTOX
- Can Botox fix any wrinkle? No. Wrinkles and creases that have formed due to sun damage or gravity do not respond to Botox. Botox is particularly useful on creases and wrinkles that have not yet become permanent. For instance, the deep crease that forms on your forehead when you are concentrating is considered to be a dynamic wrinkle, because it only appears when your face is moving.
- Can anyone get Botox? No. If you have a neurological disease, are breastfeeding, or pregnant, Botox may not be for you. The Federal Drug Administration suggests that you consult with your doctor prior to starting Botox.
- How can I prepare for Botox? Stop taking ibuprofen or any anti-inflammatory medications at least two weeks before your treatment is scheduled. These particular medications will thin the blood, making you bruise more easily during and after the procedure. Also, be sure to divulge any medications you are taking including herbal or natural supplements. Fish oil pills and gingko, though natural substances, can also thin blood
- Don’t get Botox at a “party”. Lately, it is trendy to attend Botox spas or parties. These parties may be fun, but they are not the place to get Botox injections. Because wrinkle treatments deal with your face, they will be visible to everyone. With that in mind, they should only be done by a board certified doctor.
- What effects can I expect after my Botox procedure? Bruising is the most common side effect and is a natural part of the healing process. A headache may develop in the area of the injection and could last anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. A drooping eyelid is rare, but if it does develop, will dissipate within a few weeks.
- Don’t get too ambitious. If you are trying Botox for your first time, go easy. Talk with your doctor about getting a natural look. The injections can always be adjusted.